Aside from having access from any where, blogs can benefit the classroom by providing authentic opportunities for students to respond to one another and have his or her voice her outside of the classroom and beyond the teacher. Additionally, students need to learn to communicate well in writing because future jobs will require communication with people around the world. In my opinion, which I admittedly read somewhere and don't remember the source, classroom education is outdated, but by integrating technology and blogs, classrooms can take on a larger presence in a student's life and become more engaging while increasing the potential for applying to future real-world situations. Classroom /class blogs have the potential to create safe-zones for students to posture real-world interactions while making mistakes and gaining confidence.
.
Here's a video that explains various points of view in fiction. It's a useful video because different classes speak about point of view in different ways; it's a concept that visual aids support tremendously. An extension to this video, which would require students to use the information, is to use a blog for students to submit reviews of story and explain the point of view. Each student, for example, might be required to review a book on an assigned week, submit the post to a blog page for other students to read, and they would have the video to review if they needed extra help. Plus, other students could read the same book and add responses to posts. It's an authentic activity that allows for student interaction through a monitored medium.
I agree with you Scott....blogs can allow for students to have a voice outside of the classroom. I just wonder about the time and effort to maintain a teacher run blog....any thoughts on this?
ReplyDeleteI don't know. The posting I had in mind for the point of view activity would have only been a few posts a month, which allows for time to review and comment, but using a blog as a forum could be tricky. Maybe a forum would be more of a "practice" activity that doesn't need as much monitoring, and then students would have a cummulative reflection piece based on the topic.
ReplyDeletePeople either love managing student or professional blogs or they hate it. I'm curious to see if blogging takes off at Chippewa next year... I think with ELA having a new focus on writing, there are some opportunities here.
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas Scott- could be a very cool culmination of efforts.
ReplyDeleteSidebar:I love giving another avenue for students to have a voice but there is a fine line. Pixels are passive and low risk- how do we create opportunities for students to learn to communicate face to face in addition to appropriately use online tools for communication?
Hi there! I teach 6th grade ELA at Highview and wanted to follow some ELA teachers from other buildings! I really like the video you shared about point of view. Also, the Book Suggestions page you made inspired me to create a page listing books I have read/am currently reading. Thanks for the inspiration! When I get more time, I might add reviews/pictures to my list, too...or at least a star rating. Also, I LOVE the book Dandelion Wine. Great choice!
ReplyDeleteHi Jessica, I'm glad to hear there's someone else out there who loves some Bradbury. I like your idea about adding ratings for books; sounds like a good book club adventure.
Delete